Any Council has three parts to it:
- The Front-End: the planning that needs to occur before the meeting takes place.
- The Meeting Itself: the active attendance and participation by all members.
- The Back-End: the action assignments and decisions that get implemented.
IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE:
- Back-End……………the action assignments
- Front-End……………the preparation
- Meeting Itself………..the get together
Unless its purpose is to reward or to fill a “feel good” need, it must be results driven, with the power and authority to make critical decisions to direct the growth of the business. Recommendations to create an effective Council:
- Hire a third party Facilitator (Attardi Marketing) to help with the front-end planning process and to facilitate the meeting itself.
- Appoint leaders to be responsible that the most important back-end action assignments are completed and completed in a timely manner.
- Formalize the by-laws and rules of procedure:
- Make-up of the Council
- Timeframe of service
- Mission & Charter
- Goals & Objectives
- Purpose & Expectations
- Annual Meeting Schedule
- Develop the agenda / the major issues / expected meeting flow.
- Allow for some private time between the members.
- Review anticipated action assignments to encourage everyone to want to contribute.
- Timely distribution of meeting minutes and reporting procedures to keep movement and accomplishment the driving force.
- Authority figure at all meetings: oversees and gets involved when necessary.